Born in Montreal, Joan is a sculptor and photographer who graduated from Bennington College, Vermont. She worked at the Metropolitan Museum in New York and for Edward Forbes, Director Emeritus of the Fogg Museum, Cambridge MA.
Joan maintains a studio in Chatham, MA and is a member of an artists' studio in Pennsylvania. Her art is in public and private collections in North America, Europe and Australia. Joan is a juried artist-member of the Pennsylvania Guild of Craftsmen and an honorary member of the Potters Guild of Central Pennsylvania.
She has had solo exhibitions in the United States and Toronto, Canada. During the last seventeen years Joan has taught workshops on design and on raku techniques in the eastern United States and Canada.
- "The Fine Art of Photography," Fifth Annual Juried Photography Exhibit, Plymouth Center for the Arts, Plymouth MA, April 3-May 2, 2015
- September Invitational "Cape Cod Artists from the Bridge to Race Point," Creative Arts Center, Chatham, MA, September 5th - October 3rd, 2014
- The Fine Art of Photography," Fourth Annual Juried Photography Exhibit, Plymouth Center for the Arts, Plymouth MA. March 30 - May 5, 2014. Jurors: William Franson, Panopticon Gallery, Boston; Erin Carey, Director, Garner Center of Photography, Boston; Amy Giese, New England School of Photography, Boston.
- "Homeland Security," 30" by 40" limited edition photograph. On long term exhibition, Orpheum Theatre, Main Street, Chatham MA. 2014 - .
- "By the Book," Juried exhibition related to books , Cotuit Art Center, Cotuit Ma, May 25- July 7 2013.
- Portfolio of Prints from "Dusk to Dawn The Old Village at Night" featured at The Nickerson Gallery, Chatham, MA .September 2012
- "The Big Picture," Cape Cod Photography Center, Cotuit Art Center, Cotuit MA, August 2- Sept.2, 2012.
- "The Art of Photography," Juried Fine Art Photography, Plymouth Center for the Arts, Plymouth, MA, April 2012.
- Honorable Mention, "2011 All Cape Cod," Cape Cod Art Association, May 17- June 14, 2011.
- First Prize, Photography, "All Cape Cod Juried Art Show," Creative Art Center, Chatham, MA, June 6-30, 2010.
- "Northeast Prize Show," Cambridge Art Association, Cambridge, MA, May - June 2010. Juried by Cheryl Brutvan, Curator of Contemporary Art, Norton Museum of Art, Florida and former Curator of Contemporary Art, Boston Museum of Fine Arts.
- Images, "The Paul Robeson Gallery, Penn State University, University Park, PA, July 2009.
- "Clay: From the Ground Up," Art Alliance Art Center, Lemont, PA. April 24-26, 2009.
- "Clay Art," Cape Cod Potters Inc., Cape Cod Museum of Art, Dennis, MA. March - April 2009.
- Second prize photography, "Essence of Cape Cod," Juried Fine Arts Exhibition, Creative Art Center, Chatham, MA, September 2005.
- Sculpture Award of Merit, "Images," The Paul Robeson Gallery, Penn State University, University Park, PA, July 2005.
- "Art of the State," The State Museum of PA, Harrisburg, PA, June-Sept. 2004.
- Invitational, "Wish You Were Here," National Headquarters of the American Philatelic Society, Bellefonte, PA, June-Oct. 2004.
- Juried Non-Member Exhibition, Salmagundi Club, New York City, New York, May 2003.
- "Shoulders Exposed," Horrocks' multi-media installation for the year 2000, opened the HUB Gallery at the new HUB/Paul Robeson Center, Penn State University, University Park, PA, 2000.
- The Twelfth San Angelo National Ceramic Competition, San Angelo, Texas, 1998.
- Solely represented ceramic art in "Salute to Contemporary Art Craft in Pennsylvania, The Year of American Craft," at The State Museum of PA, Harrisburg, 1993.
- In the 1990's Joan conceived and curated "The Art Alliance Art Through Touch Traveling Exhibition." (With a grant from the PA Council on the Arts to the Art Alliance, this touchable art exhibition of works in many media visited galleries, a museum and also travelled to institutions in isolated areas with no access to professional art.)
- "Dusk to Dawn, The Old Village at Night", Marquis Printing, Montreal, 2012.
- "The Creative Spirit, Art in Chatham's Old Village", Carol Pacun, The Old Village Association, Inc., Chatham, MA 2004. Cover detail as well as pgs. 35, 41-42.
- Review of "Shoulders Exposed" by John Kissick, Head, Critical Studies, School of Visual Arts, Penn State University, 2000.
- "Handbuilt Ceramics", Kathy Triplett, Lark Books, 1997, pp. 75, 81.
- "The Domestic Object"Catalogue, a cover sculpture for the exhibition "The Domestic Object," The Berkshire Museum, The Worcester Center for Crafts and the Fuller Museum of Art, 1993.
- "Ceramics Monthly", January 1992, pg.12
- "Ceramics Monthly", January 1988, pp. 67-68.